Thursday, January 17, 2008

Bafoussam no go - by Jan

Jan 16th
We left for Bafoussam at 5 o’clock this morning and after a good 1/2 hour into our journey, we experienced a blowout. We felt very fortunate and protected by God, since we were full of passengers and feel that it could have caused an accident. It was still pitch dark. After some searching around for flashlights and tools, someone on a motorbike stopped and helped us. Fortunately there was a small town about 2 km. up the road and he got some tools for us. After we got the spare off the back door, we realized it too was flat. So the motorcyclist strapped the tire onto his little 50 cc and went on his way. By this time it had gotten light, so at least we could see. Clever decided at this point that it was going to take time to remedy the situation and that we may not make it up to the mountains, so a taxi was called for us and by 8 o’clock, we were back home again while Clever, Michael and Annie stayed back till the tire could get fixed. We received a call from them at about 9:30 saying that they were on their way back home when 2 km into their trip, the tire on the other side blew. Needless to say, we did not make it to Bafoussam today. But we have been going almost non-stop, so it was totally ok to have another rest day.
We continue to enjoy the people and new friends we have made. Learning French has also been quite fun and we are surprised at some of the words that have come back to us after not seeing them for 35 years. Yesterday, I (Janet) saw the word etoile on a bill board and I immediately remembered that it meant star even though I have not paid any attention to French words for so many years. It made me realize that our brains are so amazing and what we learned many years ago, is somewhere tucked in our brains. I have become really interested in learning more words and phrases, so when George was in town yesterday, I asked him to pick me up an English-French dictionary. Just going through it and remembering more words is enjoying for me. Though I didn’t have the time before I left, I wish I could have brushed up on some French before I got here.

Everyday again, I am amazed at all the poverty here. Douala is a very dirty city. It is actually hard to believe. There is 55% unemployment, yet everyone seems to have a cell phone. You can get practically anything here, but there are no malls. Just markets on the side of the road. For example, we wanted to get some money changed, so Clever just stops by the side of the road, knowing who are money exchangers, and strikes up a deal with them. It is apparently more costly to get money exchanged at the bank. We were looking for speakers yesterday, as well as a transformer and just stopped on the side of the road where there are huts upon huts of different items that can be bought, all amidst the poverty and garbage. It is hard for me to get my head turned around on some of the stuff I see. Today we were traveling on the street and it was already quite busy, even though it was early in the morning, and our vehicle had to come to a quick stop because a herd of about 15 skinny cows were crossing the street. Although it wasn’t serious, a car lightly hit one of them. Once again I found it comical and amazing. I told George, “Quick, get your camera out and take a picture,” but by the time he was able to do so, they were already across the street.

We have only had to make friends with 2 cockroaches in our room so far. They are very quick and hard to kill, so one might as well befriend them. Actually George did manage to kill them, because they don’t want them around. They could make more cockroaches if we let them hang around too long. Fortunately, I have not seen one spider yet. Now, that would freak me out. I think that God is good and He knows what it would take to chase me out of here in a hurry.

I am so grateful for the experience of being here. I feel that I have experienced so much in a few short days. Montesuma’s (spelling ?)revenge hit yesterday, but fortunately it was not a travel day. I had to chuckle at the combination of our toilet situation and that situation. We take so much for granted at home when so much of the world lives so differently with so very little.

Tomorrow is the first day of the conference, so I don’t know how much we will be able to blog. Please pray that it will go well because that is the reason why we are here. We want our presence to be a real encouragement to the people here. It is quite fascinating what Clever and Genevieve have accomplished here in a year or so. They both came on their own (he quit his job as a medical surgeon in Switzerland) to start Vineyard churches and though they are both from this country, Douala is a new experience for them as well. They so take everything in stride and are so grateful for what they have been able to accomplish so far, and for our willingness to be here to encourage them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've noticed the cell phone thing too. Are they cheaper than they are here? We certainly can't afford to use one!

I wonder if that speaks to our inate need to be connected to other people...

Anonymous said...

That coconut pic brings back memories of Thailand. That was one of my favourite things, drinking milk from a chilled young coconut. Yum!

Your adventures make me wish I was there with you...roaches and all!

Unknown said...

Can have your email contact address.